Thoughts on the Lam
- 2 comments
1. American fries are surprisingly bad. They have an off, rancid-oil taste to them. Chik-Fil-A’s waffle-shaped fries, however, are delicious.
2. Between pennies and dollar bills, a purse can look extremely sumptuous and yet contain very little money.
3. So far two people have guessed we are English. One, oddly enough, was from Sydney.
4. Carsland at night is a thing of utter beauty. Srsly. It is astonishingly gorgeous.
5. I have a sunburn. California in summer must be deadly.
6. The air here is extremely dry. Burns the sinuses. I feel I should have a spray bottle on hand at all times to squirt up my nose.
7. Favorite rides so far – Star Tours, Radiator Springs Racers and the Hollywood Tower of Terror.
8. If Autopia gives any clues to the future, I am NOT teaching the pig to drive.
9. Hollywood is extremely grotty. In a sort of charming way, but still. You can buy plastic Oscars saying Best Barber and Best Golfer at fifteen shops right next to each other. The Founding Fathers would have been proud.
10. At one point in a burger joint a strange-looking man came in and started shouting at us all to listen up. I thought it was some kind of stick-up, but he merely told us all loudly that Jesus loved us and then disappeared into the restrooms.
11. You know the scene in Monsters Inc where Sully tries to flush Boo’s stuff down the toilet? I always found it strangely unrealistic, with the water level that high. Well, nope. US toilets are like that. Explains the whole ‘dog drinking out of the toilet’ thing, not to mention those toilet seat locks you can buy so your toddler doesn’t fall in and drown.
12. Yesterday evening, our final suitcase arrived at the hotel. It had spent the intervening week skulking in airports, traveling merrily to and fro across the Pacific, and apparently causing great mental distress to the good folk at Delta Airlines, who did not know what to do with it and hope if they ignored it, it would leave of its own accord. The only reason it arrived at all was because Mother waged a prolonged telephone campaign for four days straight, being worried that without my drugs I would jump off a roller coaster or get a reality TV show or something.
*I* was hoping that the delighted of Disneyland would wean me off the drugs in a magical, heartwarming fashion. It did not, alas, though it didn’t really get a fair chance, what with us all dying of the flu. Still, being off me meds made Great Moments with Mr Lincoln seem terribly beautiful.
13. There is nothing more dispiriting than trying to order some plain buttered toast, being invalided and temporarily unable to appreciate the delights of po’boys, gumbo and cheesy pretzels; and finding it sickly sweet. Bread should not be sweet, people! It’s bread.
14. The Carnation Cafe’s loaded baked potato soup, on the other hand, is delightful.
15. I saw Peter Dinklage at DCA. Helpdesk Man said he thought he saw that girl who was in that show that time.
16. Knott’s Berry Farm today. We will see how many G-forces our recently regained health can withstand.